The term rheum comes from the Greek root which means flew, but it’s come to mean ‘related to joints, bones, muscles.’Generally rheumatologic diseases well known as rheumatism.
Rheumatology is a new and modern sub-specialty in medicine, to diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal, spinal, autoimmune diseases. Clinicians who specialize in rheumatology are called rheumatologists. Medical doctors, After training in internal medicine specialty for 4 years , they through fellowship course for two years to get board in rheumatology sub-specialty.
Rheumatologists deal mainly with clinical problems involving joints, bones, muscles, spinal, soft tissues, autoimmune diseases, and inflammatory disorders, and heritable connective tissue disorders. Any part and organ of body can be involved in rheumatologic disorders.
Many of these diseases are now known to be disorders of the immune system, and rheumatology is increasingly the study of immunology. There are few rheumatologists around the world particularly in Dubai but they are fully knowledgeable and expert to management and treatment of musculoskeletal disorders. There are more than 200 types of rheumatism including: Rheumatoid arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Gout, Lupus, vertebral column problems such as back and low back pain and spinal Rheumatism ,Osteoporosis, and Tendinitis,. Some of these are very serious diseases that can be difficult to diagnose and treat. They also treat soft tissue problems related to musculoskeletal system, sports related soft tissue disorders .By some estimates, 46 million people in the United States are living with rheumatic diseases, which are the most common causes of reduced mobility. The most common Rheumatologic complaints are knee pain, low back pain, hand pain , shoulder pain and heel pain.
Arthritis conditions (inflammation of joint) are distinguished by red, swollen joints and inflamed connective tissues such as cartilage, synovial tissue, and tendons. Other rheumatic diseases are considered autoimmune diseases, meaning that the body’s own immune system is turning on and acts against the parts of body.
Rheumatologic problems and diseases:
- Osteoarthritis (cartilage and joint damage) is the most common cause of knee, low back pain.
- Osteoporosis (bone weakness) is the most common bone diseases and the most cause of bone fracture
- Arthritis: Rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis
- Immune mediated diseases : Lupus, sjogren, systemic sclerosis, vasculitis, polymyositis
- Spinal disorders: chronic low back and neck pain, spinal rheumatism, spinal infection
- Metabolic joint diseases such as Gout and Pseudo gout
- Chronic pain, such as fibromyalgia, psychological related bone pain
- Bone metabolic diseases: Osteomalacia and Vitamin D depletion
- Soft tissue Rheumatism: shoulder tendonitis, carpal tunnel, heel pain
- The difference between a rheumatologist in short: orthopedic surgeon deals with mechanical problems of the bones and joints need to be fixed by surgery ,like bone fracture and dislocation, tendon, ligament tearing, musculoskeletal problems due to trauma and crush injury, joints replacement. none surgical musculoskeletal therapy is also in Rheumatology field.